Makena swimming
Last year I attempted to do swim lessons with Makena--we did about 8 weekly lessons, but she screamed and cried the entire time. It wasn't worth my time or money. So this year I am attempting to do it again, but instead of doing classes where I get in the water with her, I have a woman come to our pool and give her one on one lessons. So far we have had 2 lessons, and the most difficult part for her is going under water. She is not the most adventurous child, and tends to lean on the side of caution. Yesterday we had a lesson and she cried every time the instructor made her go under water. But when we got home, she kept bragging that she was ready to go under water on her own. So we took her to the pool today, and I kept asking her if she was going to keep her promise of going under. "Not yet, maybe later," she repeatedly replied. But then a little 4 year old boy came over to play with us and was showing off his swimming skills. So Makena watched with awe, and I could tell she was getting the urge to show him that she could do it too. Little by little she would put her face deeper into the water until eventually she went completely under. She was so proud of herself, she probably did it about 30 times today! May not seem like much, but for her it's a major feat! I took a video on my phone--quality not so great, but you get the idea!

0 comments:
Post a Comment